VII. The best goals to physically recover are NOT the goals around your weight, size or shape of your body.
Firstly (not that it is important) but just to illustrate how looks and our perception are relative… I am really not back to my pre- pregnancy fitness level and shape as I still have about 5kg plus and my core strength and cardio is not even close to where I was. Though thank you! It is flattering you think that:)
“How did you do that?” I often hear.
You know what get me out almost every morning to do my exercises? Definitely not the idea of getting back to my favourite jeans.
My little trick (my ongoing motivation- this works even if I don’t feel like to do exercise at all that day) is
“to imagine that amazing feeling I have “AFTER” the exercise” for the rest of the day.
The feeling of: everything is fine with the world, the positivity, the productiveness, the patience and energy I have for my children.
It really is not difficult for me to eat healthily and do my exercise because my goal is not to loose a weight. My goal is to have enough energy for my day. I want to be happy and present for my children and for my husband and in the same time I would like to have some extra energy to spend little bit of time on my “job” I love. And that I know is only possible if I sleep enough, eat well, and EXERCISE. (I will write about a postnatal appropriate exercise in the later blog post)
So what in my opinion are NOT a good fitness goals:
- Regain my body shape from before pregnancy – Your body will never be the same to start with!:)) It can “look strong again” but it will never be the same. And that is great! Your body did an amazing job to grow little people! How cool is that?!
- I would like my but to be bigger, smaller, rounder what have you… bla bla bla…
- I would like to loose a weight
- I would like to put on my old clothes
These are all very short lived goals..if they work for you- great! But these just don’t work for me long term at all.
So instead of beating your self about negative feeling about your physical shape why don’t you try something more positive that will improve the quality of your life???
- I would like to have more energy.
- I would like to participate at this or that sport event.
- I would like to learn how to swim a front crawl.
- I would like to feel more positive.
- I would like to keep up with my kids.
- I would like to be able to carry my baby when it gets bigger.
- I would like my children to have me around for as many decades as possible!