Abu Dhabi Woman
piper

Implanon removal

Hi

Has anyone had an Implanon implant removed here in abu Dhabi?

Where was it done and was it ok? Good and bad stories both welcomed!!

Thanks

Piper

I had Implanon inserted. I know its not be very relevant to your question but had it done by Dr. Mukundan at Lifeline Hospital. It was over in 2 minutes and quite painless.

zma,

Thanks for your response - did you get the impression that the dr would be just as competent when the time came to get it out? Also what was the charge although i suspect its more to get it out!!

Thankyou

I also have the implant and although im not due to have mine removed until next year just wondered if you knew if once one has been removed can another one be implanted (obviously not straight away)?

Im pretty sure it's going to be worse having it removed than when it was implanted.. Sob.gif

I had mine removed in Australia in 2005 & let me tell you it hurts a lot. Mainly because tissue grows around the implant & they have to tug to get it out (my stomach is curdling at the very memory). However, it does not take too long if you have a competent Dr.

I too have my 2nd implant in & it's due out next year so would be interested to hear if anyone does it here & does it well!!!

Thanks Piper that would be great. biggrin.gif Spooners5 was it really that bad having it taken out? I wonder if I could be a totally wimp and ask for a local anaesthetic before having it taken out? white.gif Either that or send my hubby for the snipety snip!!!

Suz, i would go with the snippety snip suggestion for your dh!!

Spooner, thanks for the honesty, maybe i'll amend my post and ask for sugar coated info only!! seriously thank you.

Looks like i might have to be guineau pig for you guys :(. My friend asked her gynae whether she could do it and her response was that she'd have to see me first!! or was she just seeing dirham signs before her eyes!!!!

anyone out there who has had this or similar done? pm me if you can't talk on board! I can still clearly feel the stick and its only been in 12mths (not agreeing with me) so fingers crossed !!!

piper x

I have a noticeable scar where mine was removed, horrible process because of the tissues wrapped around it. A friend had hers removed though with less fuss.

Implanon did not agree with me either....

Piper

I made my doctor give me lots and lots of local anesthetic (sort of bullied him) while he was putting it in and did not feel a thing. He talked me through the process of removing it: first he'll locate the exact location via ultrasound if the stick is not clearly being felt and then extract it through a small incision in the skin. Obviously its done with local anesthetic. With that in you should not feel a thing. My implant insertion was covered by insurance so did not cost me.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. If you dont mind telling me what complications have you had? I have had my implant for 2 months now and I have noticed that although I am sticking to my usual routine I am gaining weight. Wondering if I can blame the implant Scratch-Head.gif

I had mine removed in Aus.

Adverse side effects for me and my friend included incredible acne on face and back, breakthrough bleeding and a gain of approximately 10kg weight in 6 months. For both my friend and myself all side effects disappeared when the implant was removed.

That being said though another friend is on her second implant with absolutely no side effects. Just goes to show that not all medication suits every person.

I am annoyed at having a scar left though. I have heard that the use of an ultrasound can help but some people are just more at risk for scarring.

well, i called lifeline hospital today, i was put through to 10 different people all of whom had no idea what implanon was, eventually the last person offered to put me through to reception which was where i started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So am going to Gulf Diagnostic tomorrow and will know if the cons there can remove it - i would hope so as i can hold onto both ends of the implant and push it right up to the skin (sorry if tmi). My main problem is migraines, but am starting to wonder about other things, we shall see!

Will let you know what happens

piper

Good Luck Piper..

I have had no problems at all with mine apart from my 2 year old daughter likes to pinch it when she is sat with me!!! It didn't suit a couple of my friends mainly water retention and headaches..

Back in the UK when I had my implant the nurse advised me that they would not remove the implant and I would need to go to the family planning clinic to have it removed...

Let me know how you get on..

Suz smile.gif

Indeed good luck Piper! that doesn't sound good. I think mine is great as i've had no problems and it makes life easier but some of my friends didn't have such a nice time... made them go a bit crazy and very hormonal, one lady i used to work with spent 2 months in tears before having it taken out and going back to her normal smiley self. it seems to effect people very differently.

Would be keen to hear how you get on as although mine isn't 'up for renewal' for a while, it would be good to hear how you get on.

smile.gif

And good luck from me too! I am seriously considering having mine removed but only after hearing about your experience tongue.gif The weight gain and random bouts of bleeding are too annoying. If you dont have any luck at GDC and want to try Lifeline again just tell them at the reception to connect you to Dr. Mukundan in gynae as most of the people manning the receptions are ill-informed.

well i was right about the woman at gdc - she billed me for my 2 min appt and said yes she would do it. she would call me with the price later as ins won't cover.

2 days later her nurse calls with the price of 3200dhs!!!!! it would be cheaper for me to fly back to the uk!!!!

So just managed to speak to dr mukundan directly, got lots of info and an appt for tomorrow. lifeline charge is nothing like gdc, thankfully.

ps migraine is not caused by implanon, but my problem is that it masks my cycle so i can't control the migraines. will update you again tomorrow!

Hi Piper

Good luck for tomorrow.. smile.gif 3200 Dirhams!!!! How ridiculous.. Tantrum.gif Yes I agree I would consider flying back to the UK if I had to pay that price and at the mo I never want to go back to the UK!!!

Suz

well i was right about the woman at gdc - she billed me for my 2 min appt and said yes she would do it. she would call me with the price later as ins won't cover.

2 days later her nurse calls with the price of 3200dhs!!!!! it would be cheaper for me to fly back to the uk!!!!

So just managed to speak to dr mukundan directly, got lots of info and an appt for tomorrow. lifeline charge is nothing like gdc, thankfully.

ps migraine is not caused by implanon, but my problem is that it masks my cycle so i can't control the migraines. will update you again tomorrow!

HI Piper- I'm really interested to hear howyou get on - I've had mine for in for a while now and will soon be due to have it changed - so any details would be great (inc number for the doctor ifyou have it?)

Thanks

L

Hi

I had my implanon removed last year (and am now 35 weeks pregnant 023.gif )

My Gyn' Dr Annie Rouset 02 6215159 refered me to a surgeon who works in the same building and he removed it quite swiftly but it was not painless and i needed 2 stitches. It was no more painful than when i had the previous implanon removed in the UK 3 years ago.

It was covered under my insurance so i don't know the cost if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Hope all goes well ;-)

wow tototinytot! That was fast work! Good luck with the impending new arrival :)

Not sure that i want the same result as i already have 3 littlies already!!

I rescheduled my appt for tomorrow am as am busy tonight. Fingers crossed i can be brave - i will let you know what i think tomorrow.

x

Okay everyone - its done :)

Now my implanon was just below the skin you could feel it clearly and push the ends up towards the skin. And has only been in a year.

BUT... i didn't feel a thing :) Felt the sting of the anaesthetic and slight pressure on my arm and then it was done. What a fantastic doctor. I have to say he was brilliant, very straight forward and switched on and he agreed that the price from GDC was unethical!!! I have one stitch only because implanon advise you to put it in. I would advise all of you to give dr mukandan at lifeline a call when the time comes. If you need a new one putting in you will need to source the implanon yourself as they are not readily available here.

zma, thank you so much for your referral, give the implanon a good go as if it works it can be brilliant

a very happy piper x

Okay everyone - its done :)

Now my implanon was just below the skin you could feel it clearly and push the ends up towards the skin. And has only been in a year.

BUT... i didn't feel a thing :) Felt the sting of the anaesthetic and slight pressure on my arm and then it was done. What a fantastic doctor. I have to say he was brilliant, very straight forward and switched on and he agreed that the price from GDC was unethical!!! I have one stitch only because implanon advise you to put it in. I would advise all of you to give dr mukandan at lifeline a call when the time comes. If you need a new one putting in you will need to source the implanon yourself as they are not readily available here.

zma, thank you so much for your referral, give the implanon a good go as if it works it can be brilliant

a very happy piper x

that was good of you to come back on that very good info, so can you get a presciption for it say in the UK, go and get it and then have it put in here?