Abu Dhabi Woman
JLove

Circumcision

If you had your baby son circumcised in AD, which doctor / pediatric surgeon would you recommend?

How much did it cost and was it covered by Daman?

Thanks!

PS. How old was your baby when you did the procedure?

Edited by JLove

One of my new mothers just had her son circumcised aged 5 weeks by Dr. Gohary at Al Noor at a cost of 1200 aed . She was very happy with the care they received.

My son was almost 2 months old when he had it done by Dr. Bashar at new Al Noor. It was a very short procedure and he didn't even cry. I thought Dr. Bashar was really good. Sorry I cant remember the price but I know they do not take Daman insurance there. If you have Daman, I think you can claim it after.

My first son was born in the US and circumcised in the hospital at 3 days by the pediatrician. It was a smooth procedure, the doctor allowed us in, and explained in detail what he was doing. Here, they wouldn't do it for my second son in the hospital, so my OB did it at the clinic a couple days later. His weewee was small, so I think she wasn't able to do it quite right! Also, she would not allow us to attend as she thought it would be too traumatic for us, I guess. At that point, we should have just walked out and done it somewhere else : ( At any rate, now, it's only sort of half done and the tissue is sort of "sealed" if you know what I mean : ( He would need general anesthesia to correct it, so we just decided to live with it for now.

All that to say, please make sure you are informed about how it's going to be done and find someone you are comfortable with here!

My first son was born in the US and circumcised in the hospital at 3 days by the pediatrician. It was a smooth procedure, the doctor allowed us in, and explained in detail what he was doing. Here, they wouldn't do it for my second son in the hospital, so my OB did it at the clinic a couple days later. His weewee was small, so I think she wasn't able to do it quite right! Also, she would not allow us to attend as she thought it would be too traumatic for us, I guess. At that point, we should have just walked out and done it somewhere else : ( At any rate, now, it's only sort of half done and the tissue is sort of "sealed" if you know what I mean : ( He would need general anesthesia to correct it, so we just decided to live with it for now.

All that to say, please make sure you are informed about how it's going to be done and find someone you are comfortable with here!

That's exactly why I'm trying to get this sorted ahead of time, and so far there've been no current recommendations.

What do you mean it's sort of sealed? Can the baby still pee? A friend of mine had a similar case elsewhere with her son, and they did go ahead a few weeks later with the procedure under anaesthesia. It was perfect afterwards.

What do you mean it's sort of sealed? Can the baby still pee? A friend of mine had a similar case elsewhere with her son, and they did go ahead a few weeks later with the procedure under anaesthesia. It was perfect afterwards.

Oh, yes, he can still pee : ) It's just that where the tissue should have some freedom of movement, it doesn't really. But nothing important is obstructed and my husband says he is really ok the way he is.

I'm really in unfamiliar territory here, but some people in a tongue tie thread also recommends a pediatric surgeon Al Hilfi for circumcisions. I took my daughter there to take care of her tongue tie so obviously that's quite different. I'll pm you the thread.

I was meaning that as I don't know the importance of this topic / procedure to some people, I wasn't sure if it might be a sore subject (no pun intended).

I don't know why people choose to do this to their male children, maybe for religious, personal, social reasons? I didn't want to upset anyone :white:

I think there is another thread about why people do or do not circumcise their sons if you want to revive it in the Lounge, but I think it's better to keep this thread on the topic of physicians who perform circumcision.

Why should you "get shot down in flames" for a simple opinion? It's not a major topic, and does no harm (for boys). There are different reasons, which I've gone along with but not really questioned or delved into, some medical, some religious. But at least, done properly as a baby at the right age, he won't remember it later!

No harm ha? Wow, just WOW

When it's done properly, it actually really does no harm. Doctors recommend it to help prevent STDs/STIs. It can't be compared to FGM at all. Please don't condemn parents who make this choice, as it has demonstrable medical benefits and isn't something that's just based on superstition and cultural oppression.

A study released in the April 2007 British Journal of Urology International (Volume 99, Issue 4, pp. 864–869, Morris L. Sorrells, et. al.) concluded that the “five locations on the uncircumcised [intact] member that are routinely removed at circumcision had lower pressure thresholds.” In other words, the parts removed in circumcision are more sensitive than the parts which remain. The study also notes that the head [the glans] of the uncircumcised member is more sensitive than the head of a cut male.

A Belgian study released this year reached conclusions similar to the Sorrells study; a circumcised member is less sensitive than an intact one. (Bronselaer GA, Schober JM, Meyer-Bahlburg HF, T’sjoen G, Vlietinck R, Hoebeke PB., Department of Urology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium.)

The removal of the specialized mucosal tissue which protects the glans member also causes, over time, keratinization, a process through which skin cells lose moisture, making them tougher and less sensitive.

A loss of sensitivity may not seem important – to some – but the question of how that loss affects sexual function is the subject of a Danish study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology in October 2011 (Frisch M, Lindholm M, Grønbæk M.) In that study, circumcised men reported various types of sexual dysfunction 3x more often than intact men. According to Morten Frisch, who led the study, “there were differences… the circumcised men reported orgasm difficulties much more frequently than [intact] men.” The most common problem was unnaturally delayed ejaculation and even anorgasmia (inability to achieve orgasm.) Female sexual partners of those men were 10% more likely to report incomplete sexual fulfillment.

Daman actually covers the cost but you have to check with the clinic or the hospital first. Ahmed Hilfi seems to be very popular. His clinic in Al Najda street in the same building of Mazda cars. Also Ibrahim Awad in his clinic in Electra street, the same building as Grand Stores. If he is less than one year they perform much easier and almost painless method.

I have 3 boys, all born in Abu Dhabi and all were circumcised by the same doctor.

It's a small clinic run by Dr. located behind Liwa Center, Hamdan street (behind the Marks & Spencer mall) .. The setup is basuc but the doctor is excellent. My boys were circumcised at less than a month - the 3rd one is 13days old and wegot him circumsized at 8 days... as long as the baby is 3kgs and above it should be ok.

The dr's charges are 600dhs.