Abu Dhabi Woman
Jojo&Lee

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Does anyone know if you can take Staffordshire Bull Terriers into Abu Dhabi or are they on the dangerous dogs list?

So many questions to ask ... lol

My understanding is that they are on the questionable list. Something to do with them being fighting dogs (not my interpretation), BUT I know a South African family that brought their Staffy wih them, but it took photo's and to-ing and fro-ing to get the dog in.

Having said that there was a British Bulldog up for adoption a couple of weeks ago - and I thought they were banned (for the same reason).

Love Staffy's, Love them, funny, loyal, a little bit stupid sometimes....

Hope it works out.

LOVE STAFFY'S!!! I had a beautiful one a few years back. The most affectionate, loyal sweetheart ever! Such a shame they have a bad reputation.

@MelbGuy - she was quite stupid though. Would often walk into walls. Eh, gotta love it!

They are the most loyal beautiful dogs and fabulous with kids despite their reputation. Had a few in the past when my kids were growing up and couldn't have asked for a better dog (well aside from the habit of chewing everything in sight!) and would love one again, let me know if they are allowed in.

They are the most loyal beautiful dogs and fabulous with kids despite their reputation. Had a few in the past when my kids were growing up and couldn't have asked for a better dog (well aside from the habit of chewing everything in sight!) and would love one again, let me know if they are allowed in.

We looked into taking our gorgeous Staffy girl from Oz to Abu Dhabi. We were advised that English Staffordshire bull terriers are on the safe list so yes we could have brought her in. Sadly, decided that it was best to re-home her instead.

I'm in turmoil what to do as he is 14 in July. It is a shame that they get a bad name! I have a 10 month son and he is good with him. They may not let him travel cos he is old and he has lumps and bumps all over. Is vets fees expensive over there?

LOVE STAFFY'S!!! I had a beautiful one a few years back. The most affectionate, loyal sweetheart ever! Such a shame they have a bad reputation.

@MelbGuy - she was quite stupid though. Would often walk into walls. Eh, gotta love it!

I've never met one I haven't liked, the walking into walls things must be part of the breed - I actually think they daydream and just collide with stuff... heh heh

I'm in turmoil what to do as he is 14 in July. It is a shame that they get a bad name! I have a 10 month son and he is good with him. They may not let him travel cos he is old and he has lumps and bumps all over. Is vets fees expensive over there?

It's a hard decision, and yours alone to make. Re: Vet costs, I guess it's the same as anywhere else but maybe a little up on our previous vet costs in Australia.

We've got 2 cats and as of last weekend a dog (Rusty is his name - he's lovely). The consideration that needs to be made is that if you are factoring taking him back out of the UAE/middle east, there are blood tests that need to be done annually. Our cats cost about 1000dhs each per year (plus vaccinations) I guess the Rusty-man will be about the same.

Our costs if ever we go home to Australia will also include a period (4 weeks) of quarantine, which also adds to the cost.

We're okay with that, and have factored the expense (was about 18,000dhs for the 2 cats, probably another 12 for the pooch includig flights NOT including testing etc) as part of our exit strategy should we need one.

Good luck with your decision.

HI,

We have 2 staffies (a 17 year old and a 2 year old) and they are here with us in AD. We brought both of them over from Australia. The eldest came over when we moved here 3.5 years ogo and the youngest came over 18 months ago. We also have a one year old son who absolutely adores the dogs and they adore him. We brought our eldest dog over here when he was 13.5 years old and there was no problems at all.

Good luck on your decision.

Hello, just join the club...I read almost everything about the staffie being banned or not from UAE, I don't know what to trust!!!

I have my puppy Staffordshire Bull Terrier, 3 months old, waiting in France to join us here in Abu Dhabi, can't find this breed to be officially banned for import, and British Vet is not clear about the subject, so... PLEASE, the people who managed to bring those dogs here, PLEASE help me by telling me who help you through the procedure, I will highly appreciate.

Thank you for your help

Maybe you will find this Info useful:

Municipality List of banned dogs in the UAE Taken from Gulf News Article dates 2007 (not sure if any updates but doubt it):

Municipality prohibited list of dogs include

American Staffordshire Terrier

American Pit Bull Terrier

American Bull Dog

Bull Terrier

Old English Bull Dog

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Tosa

Husky

Rottweiler

Doberman

Shar Pei

Perro de presa mallorquin/Bull Dog

Neapolitan

Argentinean Mastiff

Miniature Bull Terrier

Canary dog fila brasilerio/ Brazilian Mastiff

Rules regarding bringing pets into the country:

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/unitedarabemirates.cfm

Thanks for your reply...so confused...info from other sources don't show Staffordshire Bull Terrier on the list, sources from 2009!!! Really can't get it?? I've seen one of my neighbour with one 5 days ago, and Gulfnews says that those breeds need to be muselled and hold by a leach when in public, which means there are some of those dogs in the country, no?

I'm so scared that they mix American Staffordshire with Staffordshire Bull Terrier, that despite almost the same appearance, they are SO different, Staffie are also called "nanny dog"...so nice with kids, and I have 2 young one...too bad,

Anyway, I will not give up and will try to make the customs understand, in the mean time I hope I will get any info on the best Vet Clinic which would managed to help me as some people went through without problem

Anyway thank you very much for replying, appreciate!!!!

I went to a Dog Show last year at Zayed Sports City.

There many many untrained BIG dogs there. One was growling at everyone and everything. That dog and many others were unmuzzled.

I am surprised a fight didn't break out. These dogs were dragging their male handlers/owners in every direction. And yes the male dogs all seemed intact.

The dogs seemed young to me, so if it was last year, I'd say the dogs weren't much older than 2 years old.

Do you have AKC or breeder papers? If you don't, then unless you have the DNA to tell what kind of breed the dog actually is then....how do you even know.....?

Good Luck :)

Snouf, is your dog pure bred? If he is crossed with anything else I would have him listed on his papers as that breed mix, ie French bulldog mix (don't mention his staffy roots). You will have no problem getting him in that way. He must be listed as such on all of his papers- vaccination, health check, import permit, etc. Otherwise, drop the word Staffordshire and have him listed as a bull terrier perhaps? The import vets don't remove your animal from the cage and examine them at the airport, they just have a peek in, make sure it is alive and not acting in any alarming manner, and I don't think they will really notice if a dog has a prohibited mix in him.

Try calling some other vets that do relocation services here, and see if they have any advice. Good luck!

We brought our Staffie cross here over 3 yrs ago. We listed her as English Staffordshire terrier and had no issues at all.

We used British Vets but sadly didn't get the help i would have liked on the day. American vets also offer the service.

We also brought our two Staffordshire terriers from South Africa in 2009. They allow British Staffordshire Terriers, but not the American. The vet in SA told us that the only difference between the two breeds is height apparently. We got 3 breeders to "certify" that Oscar and Kola was "British Staffordshire terriers" although they sometimes behave more like poodles!

My advice would be to get as much letters/certificates/breeders letters to certifiy that your dog is a British Staffordshire Terrier, even if he/she is not, the vet at the cargo area, doesn't know the difference between a cat and a dog if you ask me! When they arrived in the cargo area, although we had all the paperwork and all the documentation from BVC, the vet almost didn't let them through, because HE wasn't sure whether Staffies are allowed in the country. it took many phone calls, lots of prayers outside and eventually my pregnant self in tears, to persuade him! He was not happy, but I think a hysterical pregnant woman was the last thing he felt like ten o'clock at night! Haha!

Hope you can get your dog/s in! They are amazing dogs and I can't imagine my life without my two doggie children! They are amazing with my 2 year old son!

Hello! I spoke to my friend yesterday who is a vet at the American Vet Clinic in Abu Dhabi, she said bringing in a Staffordshire bull terrier is 'no problem' and to contact the clinic! Although a puppy must be 16 weeks old to be brought into Abu Dhabi.

Hi all, I live in UAE, Ajman, originally from UK. I had a staffy in the UK and now life is a little settled, I wanted to get another dog. So I'm looking for a male, 7 to 8 weeks old, staffy, so an english staffordshire bull terrier. Does anyone know where I can get a puppy from please? I have been looking for the last year but cant seem to find one, where as I have seen so many adult staffy's around, I'm sure some of them must be having little baby staffs!! Lol.... please reply to jaymene04@gmail.com. please, please. Thank you very much!! Jay.