Abu Dhabi Woman
susan76

INTRODUCE YOURSELF !!!

My name is Muqtada Khalid and I m 1 month less 30 years old so statistically 29 now. I m working as a digital marketing executive in a real estate firm for almost 2 years now. I like movies and weekend hangout but no so much as I m very home bird kind of a person and usually try things at home. I m also planning to start something as a part time business, I have some small plans which might go right or wrong but not sure what to say now.

Hope to get suggestions here.

Thanks 

Good morning everyone!

Following much procrastination, and given that I have been shuttling between the UK and AD for the past 18 months, I thought it high time I introduced myself!

I am Kathryn, and 52 (yikes!), and married to a recently trained teacher.  We have one daughter who has just turned 18 and is about to fly the nest but to whom (in my eyes) will always be my little girl!  We have recently moved to Al Reem Island which we love, but I am struggling to find things to fill my day as there are only so many times I can go window shopping and clean the apartment....at this rate I will develop a serious addition to housework.

For those of you who are familiar with the UK, I have pretty much lived all over the country.  London, Newcastle, Wetherby, Reading, Nottingham, Horsham, Tunbridge Wells, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Sussex and Essex, to name a few.  Internationally, I have lived in a couple of cities within the US, Canada, Australia and Sweden.  In a previous life, I was a HR manager working in the investment banking, airline, energy and healthcare sectors.  Notice a nomadic pattern there?!

I must confess that I have been an avid reader of ADW for some time now and have found it exceptionally professional, informative, friendly and quite often highly amusing.  You certainly come across as a lovely group of people who hail from a vast variety of backgrounds, demographics and cultures which makes for an interesting mix.  I really look forward to chatting online, meeting at the coffee mornings, cinema outings, ladies nights and, hopefully, making some lasting friendships.

Edited by Under-the-Makeup
Incorrect nationality! British not Emirati.

10 minutes ago, Under-the-Makeup said:

Good morning everyone!

Following much procrastination, and given that I have been shuttling between the UK and AD for the past 18 months, I thought it high time I introduced myself!

I am Kathryn, and 52 (yikes!), and married to a recently trained teacher.  We have one daughter who has just turned 18 and is about to fly the nest but to whom (in my eyes) will always be my little girl!  We have recently moved to Al Reem Island which we love, but I am struggling to find things to fill my day as there are only so many times I can go window shopping and clean the apartment....at this rate I will develop a serious addition to housework.

For those of you who are familiar with the UK, I have pretty much lived all over the country.  London, Newcastle, Wetherby, Reading, Nottingham, Horsham, Tunbridge Wells, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Sussex and Essex, to name a few.  Internationally, I have lived in a couple of cities within the US, Canada, Australia and Sweden.  In a previous life, I was a HR manager working in the investment banking, airline, energy and healthcare sectors.  Notice a nomadic pattern there?!

I must confess that I have been an avid reader of ADW for some time now and have found it exceptionally professional, informative, friendly and quite often highly amusing.  You certainly come across as a lovely group of people who hail from a vast variety of backgrounds, demographics and cultures which makes for an interesting mix.  I really look forward to chatting online, meeting at the coffee mornings, cinema outings, ladies nights and, hopefully, making some lasting friendships.

Welcome home :)

This is one of the best places by the way, it's a diversity of people from all over the world 

Hi all! My name is Rhea. :) this is my very first post in ADW. :)

I am from Singapore. I have 2 boys, 6 and 8 yrs old. :) DH will be going early next month, we will follow around May/June.

I am very excited with what is ahead for our family in AD. But at the same time, I am veeeeeerrrrry nervous.
I am so glad to come across this forum and manage to get some good info on AD. 

I hope I can get to meet people from ADW very soon.

good morning evryone .. 

my name is Ashwaa,26 , im lebanese and i Live in abu dhabi since 2012 , married and have a small daughter (19 months)..

Heard alot about this website and finally decided to join .. 

Living here was vry hard at the beginning with no friends or family and i didnt even know how to speak english since i was french educated .  Thnx to my husband he did a good job with me .. 

Now Abu dhabi is my favorite place in the world .. 

Edited by Ashwaa

Hey Ladies! 

I am Holly, 25 and an Irish woman! I'm five months married to a South African man here, no kids (yet) and working in real estate as a residential leasing consultant. The hubby works for Etihad Engineering :) I am looking to make more friends here and definitely get out more socially when I'm not in the office! xx

hi Hello ladies <3 

i am hawazen , from Palestine i am 27, newly married with no kids gladly :super: i was living in amman \ jordan but i moved here with my husband this summer am working as an interior designer and i love my job <3 i love the idea of this site its seems funny and useful specially that am new here and still exploring AD , glad to be one of you lovely ladies  :dance:

Hi everyone,

My name is Tuba and I have recently moved here to Abu dhabi. Im 27 years old and married... so eager to make new friends as I am sick from boredom...:-(

Hi all, 
Mel from Melbourne (Australia) here! 
Made me smile big to see so many Aussies here! We (me - mid 30's, DH - mid 30's, and DS aged 5yo) are doing the old read everything before we relocate, and this forum came highly recommended. DH is in IT security, I'm in law/politics, and Mr 5yo is obsessed with ninja turtles and all things dinosaurs! 

Having lived quite the gypsy/expat life over the last 10years or so, this time, we've had a sudden opportunity of a 2-5 year term contract in Abu Dhabi for DH's work. We'll be trying to hold off for a few months, and looking at making the big move after Ramadan. Or suitably before, if it has to be rushed. We're not new to the expat life as such, DH is an expat of sorts, living in Aus despite being kiwi, and my work has taken me global, but any AD/UAE specific tips or any "while you're in AD do this/travel to this country" tips always greatfully accepted and discussions/friendships sort! 

I guess the one question I would put forward, is what do you know now about expat life in Abu Dhabi that you wished you'd known then? 

<I'm also another Australian slightly confused at A) how the ASAD school is allowed to operate Australian by name only while not teaching the Aus curriculum, and B) curious as to what the better options for Aus expats looking to provide continuity of schooling as best as possible....but we can worry about that tomorrow, today is getting used to the idea and figuring how to make it all work!>

Looking forward to participating in this community remotely for a bit, and then joining you all over there soon!  
Mel 

6 hours ago, mel_aus said:

Hi all, 
Made me smile big to see so many Aussies here! We (me - mid 30's, DH - mid 30's, and DS aged 5yo) are doing the old read everything before we relocate, and this forum came highly recommended. DH is in IT security, I'm in law/politics, and Mr 5yo is obsessed with ninja turtles and all things dinosaurs! 

Having lived quite the gypsy/expat life over the last 10years or so, this time, we've had a sudden opportunity of a 2-5 year term contract in Abu Dhabi for DH's work. We'll be trying to hold off for a few months, and looking at making the big move after Ramadan. Or suitably before, if it has to be rushed. We're not new to the expat life as such, DH is an expat of sorts, living in Aus despite being kiwi, and my work has taken me global, but any AD/UAE specific tips or any "while you're in AD do this/travel to this country" tips always greatfully accepted and discussions/friendships sort! 

I guess the one question I would put forward, is what do you know now about expat life in Abu Dhabi that you wished you'd known then? 

<I'm also another Australian slightly confused at A) how the ASAD school is allowed to operate Australian by name only while not teaching the Aus curriculum, and B) curious as to what the better options for Aus expats looking to provide continuity of schooling as best as possible....but we can worry about that tomorrow, today is getting used to the idea and figuring how to make it all work!>

Looking forward to participating in this community remotely for a bit, and then joining you all over there soon!  
Mel 

Hi Mel. Good luck with your move! Just a word on schools. I am Australian - been in UAE 7yrs - my kids are at a British school. The ASAD has nothing to do with an Australian school/curriculum, and I would be certain you won't even find an Aussie student enrolled there! Confusing I know. But here businesses/instutions can buy the licenses to use a name but doesn't mean there is an association. You will need to start the application process as soon as you can - good schools can be hard to get a place. Getting schooling should be a priority if you are moving Jun/July. Often, people wait to see where their kids get accepted for a school place, then decide where to live. You don't want to live at the opposite end of town to school or else the school run could be a nightmare everyday. How old are your kids? If they have done most of their schooling in Australia, I would say that British curriculum is closest to Australia. We looked at the US curriculum schools, but for various reasons, including my sons age cut-off, we felt the British was the better fit for when we eventually go home. But there are a number of Australians doing US/Canadian curriculum so they may have further insight, and ultimately you want a school that you feel comfortable with and think has the best environment for the needs of your child. If you have a chance to come and view schools, I would. Look through the ADW posts on schools. Research them to get a feel for suitable ones, then start applying now! Some schools have already closed their waiting lists. The younger years are the hardest to get a place. All the best! This is a great forum to get advice.

On 4/17/2016 at 2:59 PM, mel_aus said:

Hi all, 

Mel 

Hi Mel,

Thanks for taking the time to read the whole blog; you guys have some stamina!

Definitely get the ball rolling for a school place - they are in short supply in the younger years.

Look forward to meeting you.

Hi all, thank you for such instant inclusion and warm introductions/welcomes!
DH's contract is still to be finalised, in fact, getting firm answers is most difficult, so we're trying to keep life going here in Aus, while planning how to work the possible AD scenarios, but your tips have been so gratefully taken on board! It's a lesson in patience ;) 
 @Chaletfan it's less about our stamina, although once hooked, we like a challenge, but more your writing was both entertaining and insightful! Blogs are funny, I feel completely overfamiliar with your family, and my family can't wait to meet yours!

I'm building a list of tasks depending on when the contract is signed and whether they want us there NOW, before Ramadan, and after, but everything is up in the air at the moment! It's giving me time to do as much research as I can, while organising the house here! This forum is keeping the dream alive and the motivation strong, so thank you all! 

Hi all,

My name is Judi and I will be moving to Abu Dhabi from the UK this August with my two boys(14&11) and Dog, to join my husband who is already working here.  Really looking forward to be back as a family again, tho we are not new to the expat life having spent 2+ years in Qatar.

Lots to do, schools being the priority.  We are going to be up by Khalifa city...so a few options up there.

hope to chat/meet soon in the future. 

Hi Everyone,

My name is Becca, I'm from America and am 25 years old. I am moving to Abu Dhabi in August to work at an autism school in the city.  I am very excited to experience a new place! But this will be the farthest I have ever been from home so I am also a little nervous. I joined this site to learn as much as I can about Abu Dhabi and to learn about important topics!

Thanks!

Becca

1 hour ago, Beccafaith said:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Becca, I'm from America and am 25 years old. I am moving to Abu Dhabi in August to work at an autism school in the city.  I am very excited to experience a new place! But this will be the farthest I have ever been from home so I am also a little nervous. I joined this site to learn as much as I can about Abu Dhabi and to learn about important topics!

Thanks!

Becca

Hello and welcome!

Hi Everyone,

Myself sangeeta from Abu Dhabi, Indian national. i am a MBA holder was working in a University College in Abu Dhabi as Senior HR.

Last year i have started a business in beauty industry. A Beauty Saloon opened in a Murjan Asfar Hotel Apartment in Airport Road, Abu Dhabi with professional Staffs for Hair Styling, hair treatment and all beauty services.

Hope to meet you all soon in person.

On 4/11/2016 at 6:01 PM, Abyss said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Tuba and I have recently moved here to Abu dhabi. Im 27 years old and married... so eager to make new friends as I am sick from boredom...:-(

welcome tuba,, from which country?

Hi everyone,

My name is Madhu. Im 26 years old and married.. Moved to Abu dhabi one year back. I like it here... with parks, shopping, food!!, diff people and more... Like the traditional look of the city... been to Qasr-al-hosn festival 2015! it was awesome.. Nice city with more cultural values... I like it !!!

Hie everyone,

Well my name is Faiza and its been 2 years since i shifted here. I am 18 and studying,well i will like to make new friends as i don't really have many. I love reading,trying new things and i love Abu dhabi because its so calm and serene. Looking forward to know new people.