Abu Dhabi Woman
Cake Boss

PLEASE READ: Employing a Part-time Maid is Illegal

Employing part time maids is illegal.

The only legal way is through a cleaning company or sponsoring them yourself.

There are hundreds of discussions on this issue which can be found in the "maids" section of the boardroom.

ANY POSTS ABOUT EMPLOYING OR LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT FOR A PART-TIME MAID WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED!

So might i add is asking for full time maids/nannies and saying you cannot sponsor them UNLESS you want to hire from an agency. It is NOT legal for maids to work on their 'own visa'

ANYONE WORKING FOR YOU THAT IS NOT EMPLOYED BY AN AGENCY MUST BE SPONSORED BY YOU.

Ladies

I am having some issues with my maid and am planning to let her go. I have a friend who is moving back to London and her nanny was available.. ( On a local persons visa ) and she offered to let me have her as I am now 7 months pregnant and need some help. For some reason i did not get a chance to go and interview this woman... and this morning my friend called me to tell me that the nanny had run off with AED60000 in cash ( from the sale of their car )

So please be careful when you employ someone...

What is the deal with babysitters? I do not want a full or part time nanny but would like every now and then to have someone watch the little one, so I can go out to dinner with the husband? Is it legal to hire students? We recently went to a wedding in Dubai and the hotel arranged for a babysitter for us - she was a lovely mature lady who was here with her family who took on occasional babysiting duties, not a moonlighting nanny - I am assuming that babysitters are legal- is this correct?

I would love to know the answer to Amayaro's question above about babysitting too.

I also want to know about paying someone to wash the car or do odd jobs. We have just moved into our villa and everyday get several knocks on the door with offers of part-time maids, gardening or car washing. Cake Boss above makes it very clear about the maid situation (thanks Cake Boss). I had offers from people sponsored by their spouse, however I presume this is still illegal unless they had a labour card for a cleaning job which is unlikely unless they are sponsored by an agency. Is this correct and is this a similar situation with paying someone to wash the car regularly? Can you pay small amounts of cash in hand without it being considered an employer/employee relationship?

Thanks in advance.

Living in Abu Dhabi you need to realize, Everything is ok until it's not!! There are grey areas everywhere. What might be ok one day or for one person mightn't be for another on another day. It's all up to the individual to assess and work out how or if your prepared to risk yourself. There are thousands here doing something they shouldn't do according to some law every day, And according to another post here today the numbers would be in the 10's of thousands. Go with your gut feeling and don't worry about it.

I registered with dubainannies agency. This is the agency for finding maid for you. They told me that they can find me a part time maid who is on husband visa.they said if the lady can get NOC from her husband then she becomes legal to work as part time. Can any one tell me is it true. Is it same like a woman on husband visa working in a company. The agency also took 3000dhs fees to find a part time maid for me.

I am taking a guess here but not only would she need the NOC but also a labour card to work legally. I presume that if she goes through the agency they can apply for a labour card for her but employing someone on husband's visa with NOC but no labour card would still be considered illegal??

I have to agree totally with Jennyr_au about hiring a part time cleaner/babysitter/gardener/car washer/shopping carrier/school tutor yourself and not through an agency.

Thousands of people employ part time help illegally in Abu Dhabi everyday. If you do it discreetly how do the authorities find out about it? I have a lady who baby sits and cleans for us once a week for 3-5 hours. She also has a full time job.

I'm certainly not paying some greedy agency 3000dhs to find me a cleaner/babysitter. The poor cleaner would only see half of the fee. I'd rather the cleaner see that money. That's the risk I'm prepared to take.

I think you just have to be discreet and sensible about the situation. I think there is far more serious illegal stuff going on in Abu Dhabi than employing a babysitter/maid yourself.

I guess this law was made as a result to runaway maids, who escapes from their sponsors and go out to work as part timers. I have heard from my friend's maid that many of the girls back in her country who are looking to come here or any other country through agencies in order to work and be sponsored by employers; these girls actually plans to escape and go find jobs outside, part time job so they would live on their own and make more income (they actually plan this with their friends who are already doing this here).

I have stopped hiring part time maids unless through an agency, especially after hearing about one runaway maid who has been diagnosed with a very serious disease (only her friends know since of course she's here illegally and not going through the regular health tests) why should i take the risk of her transmitting it to my house and children. for me if it's illegal I wont hire her.

I registered with dubainannies agency. This is the agency for finding maid for you. They told me that they can find me a part time maid who is on husband visa.they said if the lady can get NOC from her husband then she becomes legal to work as part time. Can any one tell me is it true. Is it same like a woman on husband visa working in a company. The agency also took 3000dhs fees to find a part time maid for me.

If she is working directly for the agency, and her labor card is from them,and you are paying them directly and not paying her directly, then this works. However, if they just "find" her for you and you and you are paying her directly it is illegal. Personal domestic servant does not fall under the labor dept rules who can work with an NOC, so if she is working directly for you and you have not sponsored her, then it is still illegal.

I have to agree totally with Jennyr_au about hiring a part time cleaner/babysitter/gardener/car washer/shopping carrier/school tutor yourself and not through an agency.

Thousands of people employ part time help illegally in Abu Dhabi everyday. If you do it discreetly how do the authorities find out about it? I have a lady who baby sits and cleans for us once a week for 3-5 hours. She also has a full time job.

I'm certainly not paying some greedy agency 3000dhs to find me a cleaner/babysitter. The poor cleaner would only see half of the fee. I'd rather the cleaner see that money. That's the risk I'm prepared to take.

I think you just have to be discreet and sensible about the situation. I think there is far more serious illegal stuff going on in Abu Dhabi than employing a babysitter/maid yourself.

You have the right to do whatever feels ok for you and take whatever risks you want but if I may suggest, keep in mind that this is a public forum.

Can someone help me:

We are looking for a part-time nanny, and would only want to do it legally. We are preparing to sponsor her for sure, my question is we are going to use her for the weekday afternoon only and she will be a live-out nanny (we are planning to provide allowance for her to find accomodation near us). So with her sponorship under us what if she take on another job during her free time, will we, as the sponsor, be legally liable for her "illegal act" that she's taking on housemaid work with other households?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Can someone help me:

We are looking for a part-time nanny, and would only want to do it legally. We are preparing to sponsor her for sure, my question is we are going to use her for the weekday afternoon only and she will be a live-out nanny (we are planning to provide allowance for her to find accomodation near us). So with her sponorship under us what if she take on another job during her free time, will we, as the sponsor, be legally liable for her "illegal act" that she's taking on housemaid work with other households?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes, you are legally liable for whatever she gets up to, whether that's working illegally for somebody else or even getting pregnant.

Agree with aussietania. So it is better for you Suechong to just use agencies for part time help and you wont have the headache/responsibility that comes with sponsoring a maid yourself. There are many forums discussing agencies that let you hire part time helpers.

Thank you very much Kati_AD and aussietania!

I already spoke to 2, 3 agencies, they don't have availability for nannies (but a lot cleaning maid services). Anyone out there has any agencies that you can refer me to?

A house maid should be under your name to work for you in this country.

It's also good for you to be under your full name and you're the responsible about her. Otherwise she won't pay any respect to you nor your kids.. and even if (God forbid) does something bad to you or your kinds.. you won't be able to report that to the police; because you'll be questioned not her!

Why did you allow her to work for you if she is not under your name?!

This is my point of view and each one has her/his own point of view and i fully respect it.

PS. Don't believe those maid who says ( am not well treated by my sponsor, that's why i do want to work with you) a good person her sponsor won't let go of her at all.. they'll keep her for good is she is Okay! unless she isn't good, they'd rather for her to find another sponsor instead of buying her ticket back home... let's say it's easier to them!

From what I learned recently, any kind of work (e.g. selling self made cakes, hair cuts etc) that you receive money for must be done with a registered (as a company with the chamber of commerce), licensed (the location and the profession) and sponsored (emirati sponsor, 51% rule). That counts for all paid activities. Babysitting services, odd jobs etc that you don't use via an agency are illegal. In other words, you can't earn money here or hire someone without a proper business behind. I heard that 'grey zones' are wishful thinking and that if you get caught, you get black listed and you can't work here again (next to harsh fines). I'd be extra extra careful with that.

What about home business like cooking / selling clothes on order / massages, etc. You see some ladies doing this. Is this legal? Is it difficult to get a business license?

I have made custom cakes for 10+ years in the states and when I got here I thought that I would continue to make them and make some spending money. I posted my services on this forum probably 3 times and then removed the post just as many.... It is illegal to work from home unless you have gone through all the correct processes to get a business license, which I have heard is anywhere from 35000AED and up. So I have put my cake decorating on hold...which makes me very sad. I have also heard many times that there are a lot of gray areas here and all is fine till it's not fine anymore.... So I guess you can take the risk if you want, but I didn't want to risk messing anything up with my husband's career since I am here on his sponsorship. Good luck!

I just didn't want to chance it! So I have done things just for people I have met and friended here recently but not really advertising....

Word of mouth is the best advertising :-) Hope you can continue to do your cakes

Word of mouth is the best advertising :-) Hope you can continue to do your cakes

Me too! Soooo if you ever need a cake or if a friend needs a cake....just let me know!!! LOL I do have lots and lots of pictures!!!

Maybe I will advertise on ADW again soon.....

Edited by CountryGirl