Abu Dhabi Woman
luminescence

Attesting Degree Without Stamps On Original Certificate - Is There A Record Of This Kept By The Ministry Here?

Does anyone know if the ministry in the UAE keep a record of the degree certificates which they've attested? I had mine attested years ago in Dubai but the stamps etc were not put on my original certificates (am guessing it was done on a photocopy) so I don't have any record of these certificates having been attested. Am I being too hopeful thinking that they may have a record of this that they can access rather than having to have them all attested again?

Edited by luminescence

I don't think you would want your original certificate stamped. Well, at least I didn't.

Perhaps you can make a copy, bring it to the embassy of the country of where the document came from and get it attested?

I highly doubt they will keep records. I got some documents stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here and all they did was take my money, put a stamp on it and signed.

I had all my originals attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs but before that also signed and stamped by British Council and British Embassy. If it is too expensive , just do main ones.

If you need extra originals you should have the certificate number and this is given to where you received the certificate and they will send you another copy.

Edited by DesertDream

I had to submit the attested degree when applying for my residence visa in Dubai a few years ago. So because the attested degree was required for my residency visa application (my employer was my sponsor) I thought that they might have kept a copy on file. but I guess then I should be asking the labour office and not the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I thought I needed the first stamp to come from the appropriate department/ministry in Australia (where my degrees are from) before getting the appropriate stamps at the ministry etc here in the UAE? That's why I was hoping that there was a record of my previous attestation as I am not so keen to post my certificates to Australia as they could potentially get lost or damaged.

Are attested certificates required to have the labour card application approved in certain professions?

My degree came from Australia and I had to send them back for attestation and it wasn't fun as I lived in Singapore. UAE Embassy in Singapore said I had to get stamps from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Australia before sending to the UAE Embassy in Canberra. Grr

What you could try doing is go to the Australian Embassy here and see if they can stamp your documents and from there take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Infinity Marina Mall) for their stamp. Ohhh get the Australiam Embassy (or is it High Commision here?) to make a certified true copy of the documents? That way you get to keep the orginals stamps-free. We did this for our Marriage Certificate at the Singapore Embassy here.

I had to give copies of my attested certs for the job I have now but it could depend on the company?

I'm guessing you got your degree certified before the new rule came in, sheralqadri:

"All tertiary education documents, regardless of whether they are computer

generated or bear original signatures and seals, must be certified by the

Student Administration area of the issuing institution as being a "true and

accurate record". Should the originating institute not wish to perform

this certification, the document must be notarised by an Australian Notary

Public."

I think this law came into effect in June. Ahrr, this just makes it even more of a hassle and time consuming. And my degrees are form 2 different universities so I'll have to send them to 2 different places which doubles the chance of something going wrong!!

Ah yes, I missed out the notary public bit. I got that done before the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Perth.

Mum did the whole thing for me as she's living and working there. Thankfully the Notary Public was in the building next door and Ministry of Foreign Affairs was right across the road. After all that, it's courier to Canberra for UAE Embassy's stamp then back to Perth to her and back to me in Singapore.

I didn't go to the university because I didn't want them to certify on the original, that's what Curtin said they would do. So I bypassed them and went directly to the Notary Public. Perhaps you could do the same? Not sure if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have to be in the same State as the university, if they are from 2 different states.

If I were you I would ask the Australian Embassy here if they would certify your certs. Saves the hassle of sending back to Australia. Unless they don't do it then there's not much choice.

I didn't go to the university because I didn't want them to certify on the original, that's what Curtin said they would do. So I bypassed them and went directly to the Notary Public. Perhaps you could do the same? Not sure if the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have to be in the same State as the university, if they are from 2 different states.

So even though your university would have certified your degree you had the choice to have a Notary Public do this step instead? Very interesting as the way it is worded on the Australian government websites it reads as though you can only have this step completed by a Notary Public if the university doesn't offer the service. So if I can find a Notary Public in Abu Dhabi it seems like i can save myself alot of trouble by not having to send my degrees to the uni in Oz.

I know I should call the Aussie embassy to confirm all of this but by the time I get home from work I'm too exhausted and am sure that it's out of their office hours anyway.

As I know, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs doesn't keep records but the Ministry of Higher Education does. I had to go there first and get it stamped before proceeding to the MOF.

I assume that you're talking about the Ministry of Higher Education in Australia and not Abu Dhabi? It would totally make my day if you mean Abu Dhabi but I don't want to get my hopes up too much!!

So even though your university would have certified your degree you had the choice to have a Notary Public do this step instead? Very interesting as the way it is worded on the Australian government websites it reads as though you can only have this step completed by a Notary Public if the university doesn't offer the service. So if I can find a Notary Public in Abu Dhabi it seems like i can save myself alot of trouble by not having to send my degrees to the uni in Oz.

I know I should call the Aussie embassy to confirm all of this but by the time I get home from work I'm too exhausted and am sure that it's out of their office hours anyway.

Yup, I didn't go to the university because they said they would certify on the original, which I didn't want. As it is, that was going to be the first time since I the convocation that I took the degree out of the frame. Parents got it framed on the spot so I never took it out and wasn't going to get stamps all over it. Yeah, I'm anal like that. :p Anyways, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs never asked a thing bout it so yeah..

You could get a Notary Public to do it here but how would you get the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Australia to certify unless you're intending to go to the Embassy here to do it?

As it is, that was going to be the first time since I the convocation that I took the degree out of the frame. Parents got it framed on the spot so I never took it out and wasn't going to get stamps all over it. You could get a Notary Public to do it here but how would you get the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Australia to certify unless you're intending to go to the Embassy here to do it?

Ha ha - my parents did the same thing so imagine my shock when I realised my degree was GLUED into the frame; aaargh!

That meant searching for a Notary, a trip to his office for a couple of notarised copies (and forking out cash), then a trip to Canberra for Foreign Affairs and UAE Embassy attestations (and forking out more cash) before bringing them back here for UAE stamping. Unfortunately, it is just what needs to be done (and the Embassy here will tell you the same); good luck!

I would still try asking the Australian Embassy here if they could do it. Coz I really don't think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UAE) really check the stamps. When I gave my documents, the man glanced at them, told me to go make payment and some other lady put the stamp and done.

That would save a lot of hassle if the Australian Embassy here can do it. Otherwise, it's a trip back to Aussie! ;) I'll be your courier person! :p

Okay..this same thread(Taminicole has been INVALUABLE!!thank you!) but I need to put this part of my question out there which is related to this thread

I do NOT want my original documents have stamps all over them..so sending scanned copies to U.S.A. to be attested.question..will ADEC accept them??

Please anyone who knows let me know..do NOT want to spend 400 dollars to get this process done again if they do not

It is amazing where my first months salary is going to stuff like that

Edited by Nikko

Okay..this same thread(Taminicole has been INVALUABLE!!thank you!) but I need to put this part of my question out there which is related to this thread

I do NOT want my original documents have stamps all over them..so sending scanned copies to U.S.A. to be attested.question..will ADEC accept them??

Please anyone who knows let me know..do NOT want to spend 400 dollars to get this process done again if they do not

It is amazing where my first months salary is going to stuff like that

You could try getting a letter to state that the given certificate ( plus ref. number) is authentic as is university and have the letter signed and stamped, then you could try having that letter stamped rather than the actual certificate. Just tell them you don't want it stamped but rather the official letter stamped instead. I have heard some people actually getting the copies stamped too as long as they have seen the original along side it.

Also do the main ones for example like High School Diploma and BA or whatever is the highest one after that and leave the rest or do the one in which you specialize-important for that specific job.

Edited by DesertDream

In the U.S.A the document is notarized as this is an Copy of the original copy with the original copy next to it...I guess that is what you mean Desert Dream??

Yes, I haven't actually done the the copy procedure but I have heard people do it. They will definitely need the original to see you have it but I have heard you can ask for the copy to be stamped though you would have to make it clear.

Another way and perhaps better is to to ask for another copy of the original from the same university ( thus why many universities provide everyone with a box/reference number of certificate to identify yours (to request another). The reference numbers are ways they can also check if your certificate is genuine and coming from a recognize educational institute. You have to make sure all copies have been signed etc..

Hi Ladies,

I dont know if this will help anyone, but I went through an extensive attestation for both my graduate and undergrad degrees and my secondary school as well. I had to bring both my transcripts and my orginal degrees to the Ministry of Higher Education.

The steps are slightly different depending on what state you are in), but in essence you need them attested first in the state in which the degree was conferred,( that usually means the Secretary of State of that state in which your degree was conferred) then attested by the Sec. of State office in DC, then sent to the UAE embassy in Washington for their stamp,and sent to you here. Then you take them to Min of Foreign Affairs (Infinity Services in the car park level of the Marina Mall) here.

Finally, you take them with the required forms to the Ministry of Higher Education.

For the secondary school document, it was high school transcript through all the steps, but before taking it to Min of Higher Education, I had to go to the Min of Education in Dubai ( not AUH) and secure a letter that said that my secondary school certificate was equivalent to secondary here.

Given that my degrees were granted in two different states,it was a living nightmare.

There are services that will do all the running around in the USA for a several hundred dollars. I had friends that helped, and established a FedEX account and placed one pkg, inside the other for each of the three steps. I spent a fortune!

I thought I would never get done. The irony was these was all being done for a AUH Govt job. The process took so long that I was not able to join.

The good news is that I have my letters from Min Of Higher Education that prove the equalization of my degrees. I made copies, scanned the orignals and keep the docs in a safe place. Several months and several hundred dollars to get to the finish line. I never want to do this again!

Please tell friends who are thinking about coming here, to do the attestation of docs before they leave the USA.

Sorry ladies..same question..

UK is asking for notorised or certified copy of my degrees (issued from Sudan).I have 2 different documents:

• Document A:have stamps from Sudan ( higher education,foreign affairs and UAE embassy)+ UAE (foreign affairs+UK embassy in UAE).
  • Document B:Sudan ( higher education,foreign affairs and UAE embassy) but none in UAE.

Where to go for a certified or notarized COPY ? Ministry of foriegn affairs then to UK embassy?

or to Sudan embassy ? Is it applicable to both documents?

I'm confused....

Hi luminescence, 

I contacted the Australian Embassy about this exact thing in March this year... below is their long & detailed reply, basically the certificates do have to go back to Australia. I was told by a friend to bring my certificates when I moved here & I wish they had of mention attested certificates, oh how much hassle & money this would save. I haven't done it yet though now have to as I'm applying for a job with a government department & I want everything to be ship shape. Then I need to send another certificate to the UK so I'll have to investigate that process though assume it's the same.

Good luck!

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please also see below for more information on this service. Since your documents are educational documents, it is recommended you double check with local authorities/party you will be submitting these documents to, to  see  if they require authentication from Australia first:

Legalising Documents - Authentication of Australian UNIVERSITY Documents for use in the UAE

The UAE Government has advised the Australian Government that Australian university documents must be authenticated in Australia by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and by the UAE Embassy in Canberra before they can be accepted for use in the UAE.  Please confirm these requirements with the local authorities before submitting your documents.   

Step by step guide:

1.       Verify the content of your document as a ‘true and accurate record’ by using your university’s online verification register or sending your document to your university’s student administration office. For more details, visit www.smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents-australia.html.

2.       Authenticate your document at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Australia.

·         Information regarding the procedures, timelines, and costs for getting your document authenticated by DFAT in Australia, the “Document Legalisation Request Form,” and contact details are available on www.smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents-australia.html. If you have further enquiries, please contact the Authentication and Legalisation Service at DFAT in Australia on +61 1300 935 260 or on authentications@dfat.gov.au.

3.       Authenticate your document at the UAE Embassy in Canberra, Australia.

·         Information is available at http://uae-embassy.ae/Embassies/au/Content/776 

Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Australia

Street Address:                 12 Bulwarra Close O'Malley, ACT 2606 Australia

Mailing Address:              P.O. Box 5173 Garran, ACT 2605 Australia

Tel:                                         +61 2 6286 8802

Fax:                                        +61 2 6286 8804

Email:                                    uaeconsulate@bigpond.com

Web:                                     http://uae-embassy.ae/Embassies/au

4.       Authenticate your document at the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Should you have further queries, please reply to this email or call our reception on: +971 2 401 7500.