Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Indigo

Working Moms With Small Kids And Long Work Hours - When Do You Exercise?

8 posts in this topic

I have long work hours and have a baby at home. Even though I would not even think about doing anything but to spend the time with my toddler, it has become a health issue for me to start some kind of exercise. My morning starts around 5:30 am and I try to wrap up by 8:00 pm. I dont know when to fit in an exercise regime...Would love to know what other moms are doing?

Well, for awhile, when baby was up at 5:30 am I went to the gym then for 45 minutes. This was easier during Ramadan since I only had to go to work for 6 hours, I find it really hard to get up at 5:30 am now, especially since J seems to want to sleep till about 6:30am.

So now, DH and I have bought bikes with a kids seat and we go for an hour's bike ride in the evening, and take J with us. He loves it. You can find relatively inexpensive bikes, however a kids seat will cost you around 350 AED to 800 AED, depending on the brand.

I also try and go for a half an hour walk around the block at lunch.

Edited by Pilgram

Try and start at 5.30 am for a good 30 min everyday. Go running for 20 minutes with a 5 minute warm up and cool down or if you cant find the time everyday, alternate days.

Good luck .

Can you do Wii? They have some good fitness games and a personal trainer one that could be good.

I go to the compound gym after toddler is asleep and after feeding baby - so about 8ish usually, it's a grunt and really hard to do when exhausted, but otherwise would just be sitting on @rse watching telly.

Please always remember the dangers that treadmills pose to small kids for burns, if anyone has one at home.

Edited by Mrs Wolf

Also I got a Fitbit - it's a high tech pedometer that tells you hoe many miles you've walked, stairs climbed, calories etc - it's a good motivator, to just get incidental exercise during the day - walk up steps, park a bit further away etc.

I am doing circuit training at 7:30 pm next to the holiday Inn, also Park Rotana has those classes, I only do it 2 times per week, and I see quick results, although very intense work out.

Indigo likes this