Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcfs

Why Forward-Facing Baby Carriers Are Not Healthy

3 posts in this topic

http://www.northernmum.com/2013/09/hip-dysplasia-why-we-should-burn-forward-facing-baby-carriers/

"I have had three children and was never advised of the dangers of carrying your baby outwards. It took a diagnosis of hip dysplasia, a six hour operation including bone grafts, a blood transfusion, and twelve weeks in a half body cast for me to learn an incredibly hard lesson."

Brave mama for speaking about these carriers and sharing her experience. I am lucky to have a friend who introduced me to fabric carriers when I was pg with my first. On the down side, I became a wrap addict and bought loads more carriers than I ever needed.

I see that since I initially read her post a lot of other people have chimed in. In her defense, there is evidence from cultures that use papoose and back board carriers ( Inuit and Plains Indians) and where babies are swaddled from birth, that these cultures have higher incidences of hip dysplasia. So yes, I think that front facing carriers can worsen a pre existing condition or cause it to develop if there is a genetic predisposition for it especially if a carseat and other devices are not optimal for hip comfort.

Smug alert: An orthopaedic consultant came out of his office after my daughter's appointment and saw me putting my newborn in a wrap and commented loudly in a roomful of people who were watching the spectacle of me wrapping my baby: That is the best way to carry a baby.

Edited by foxytocin
jcfs likes this

When I was pregnant I stumbled on a great article about baby carriers that my cousin had posted on facebook. It was a great read, had medical support, and if I hadn't happened on the article I would have been clueless to the potential faults of forward facing carriers. Wish I could find it again to repost here. There definitely is a lack of education on these. Mamas need the opportunity to make educated decisions about them!