Abu Dhabi Woman
jenny21

Lyme Disease....any Local Support?

Hello Ladies,

I have recently been diagnosed with Lyme disease after almost a year of health issues and struggling to find answers. I'm very quickly realising that this is not very common in the UAE, and specifically in Abu Dhabi where I live. I was wondering if anyone could recommend doctors and other health professionals that are Lyme literate - ones that are at least more familiar with this disease and/or other related co-infections? Any support networks or simply other ladies here that also have Lyme tick borne illness?

This is all so new to me, and a little overwhelming but I would love to find support locally. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Saw a programme recently about Lyme disease and how it's caused by tick bites which can cause issues if the tick isn't removed and the bite spot is left untreated. Did you get the tick bite whilst living here? Can't really offer any advice on where to get support or treated I'm afraid but hope you find what you are after. We see a western Dr at one of the SEHA clinics and she is very knowledgable on lots of issues and we feel really comfortable dealing with her, might be worth a visit. Her name is Dr Greta Shorey and she is based at Khaleej Clinic, located just behind Gulf Diagnostic.

Edited by Lammas

Thanks Lammas,

It's hard to say where/when I contracted it but likely it was not here. I'm still hopeful there is a community here for support....if not, I'm on a mission to start one. It's much more common than we think and often tough to diagnose. Thanks for your doc recommendation, I may just switch. My doc is lovely but in all honesty, hasn't really been able to diagnose or help at all during this process.

Hi 

I know this is an old post, but did u find any Lyme literate doctors is dubai or Abu Dhabi ? 
also u mentioned that the tick must be removed , which doctor should do this ? The dermatologist we met didn’t do this & just prescribed an antibiotic! 
I appreciate any info you can provide.. Thanks 

Sara Casper- I hope this isn't already too late. Lyme requires immediate attention. Doctors here are likely not Lyme-literate because it is unheard of in this region. Did you try to doctor Lammas recommended above? You might have some luck if you research doctors with training in North America/UK but even those are hard to find here. Was the tick removed? My husband was bitten by a lyme-disease infected tick in upstate New York just prior to our move to Abu Dhabi in 2018. He was prescribed a month's dose of doxycycline (we sent the tick for testing to a specialty lab in the US and got a positive for Lyme, my husband was not tested at the clinic for lyme). If you did not pull out the tick it should've fallen off by now. Did you see a Bull's eye pattern? The diagnostic test for Lyme if you don't have the tick with you, and no longer see a Bull's eye pattern is prone to a high rate of error and so it's better to treat with antibiotics immediately. Doxycycline is likely available here through prescription if you have a doctor who can do it for you; However, I am unfamiliar with the standard of care for lyme disease that was allowed to progress due to delay in receiving medical attention (that can get very serious and very complicated). Might be best to discuss in detail with a doctor from your home country where you might've contracted Lyme (I'm assuming somewhere in North America).