Abu Dhabi Woman
tri-geek

Leaving The Uae? Here's How To Do So The Right Way

Leaving the UAE can be time-consuming for expats – you need to be physically present to close down many accounts, and personal possessions, such as cars and furniture, can take time to sell. Here’s how to plan ahead and make your exit as smooth as possible:

http://www.thenational.ae/business/money-tips-and-advice/leaving-the-uae-heres-how-to-do-so-the-right-way

Good information. Also add to this any check out procedures required by one's employer in order to get a final settlement. My last employer had a form that required 17 (not a typo) signatures, internal and external, plus letters to back up some of the signatures, like etisalat, bank, credit card statement, building, building maintenance, work supervisor, gas and electricity, even mawaqif. Etisalat was the hardest, 4 trips to their office and the last trip sat in their office for 6+ hours to speak to everyone and anyone. They stated they had "no record" of my previous 2 applications for clearance letter.

So check employer in house procedures as well.

Good information. Also add to this any check out procedures required by one's employer in order to get a final settlement. My last employer had a form that required 17 (not a typo) signatures, internal and external, plus letters to back up some of the signatures, like etisalat, bank, credit card statement, building, building maintenance, work supervisor, gas and electricity, even mawaqif. Etisalat was the hardest, 4 trips to their office and the last trip sat in their office for 6+ hours to speak to everyone and anyone. They stated they had "no record" of my previous 2 applications for clearance letter.

So check employer in house procedures as well.

Reading this it sounds like we all should have started the leaving process as soon as we arrived :-) Oh the joys.

Setting up accounts has been a breeze here in the UK.....one phone call or registered online and it's done!

Edited by Lammas

We left UAE in December. My husband's bank account was still opened as the company had to transfer end of service money to it.. BTW, it took more than 2 months to get those money..

Now, he has just a few AEDs left on this account.. Does anybody know if he can withdraw this little amount of money and close the account from USA?? Is it a must for him to go back to UAE to do it?????

Our exit was probably easier than we thought it would be. We started in January to sell off stuff (we left March 30th). I got rid of the big things we didn't need and could live without. Come February we started with the cars and got them sold in about 2 weeks - easy peasy and even though we had to go to the DMV twice to fix an insurance/inspection thing it wasn't very difficult. Closing accounts like Etisalat, ADDC and banks were easy as we closed our credit cards before Thanksgiving in 2014 as we didn't need their credit car and closed out our loan. Etisalat we gave our dates to beginning of March and ADDC you can call the week you are getting out of the villa so you have water until you leave. Nothing difficult there and DH's end of service and last paycheck were given to us 3 days before we left and we deposited it it into the bank here, which we have left open so we could take the cash out later and Dimarco was done before we left and finished a week after we left with our villa deposit given back to us minus a 296 AED fee (of course) for administrative costs - Overall, not very difficult but you have to plan and keep on your company for the exit interview check list and make sure you have your ducks in a row. We sold the last of the furniture a day before our inspection for turning over the keys and I had the villa painted a week before we did the inspection with no issues. It's not very difficult but you have to plan and be flexible and plan AHEAD!!! Don't wait until the last minute or you will have issues. Even the dogs made it out with us with only a small hitch and after that it was all good.

Now, he has just a few AEDs left on this account.. Does anybody know if he can withdraw this little amount of money and close the account from USA?? Is it a must for him to go back to UAE to do it?????

I can check for you if his account is from the bank I work at. PM me for details.

This is a great thread!!!

Ive often wondered if people stay because leaving is just so hard. I am still trying to get a bank account closed, we left in 2012.

We closed off everything with Etisalat, and have a letter to that effect, but started getting bills from them three months after we left.

We just gave up.

edited to add, even getting my dog out was a drama. I had everything in order, prepaid everything and arranged to the tiniest detail. Then the pet carrier decided my dog was sick and held her hostage for ten days (while the dog got sicker and sicker because of stress)

Edited by KrisS

Yes I think you might be right...this place is a bit like the hotel California as far as trying to get out is concerned lol

So how do you ensure that you have running water and electricity till your last final day? I assume people stay in their houses till last minute and not in a hotel.. Sorry might be stupid question but we may be leaving end of year and I am trying to plan ahead as much as possible. Thanks!

We were in a hotel for the last ten days.  We had a fabulous landlord who returned our security deposit and remaining rent a month before we left so we could get cheques cleared and it was still a crazy rush to get things done.

So how do you ensure that you have running water and electricity till your last final day? I assume people stay in their houses till last minute and not in a hotel.. Sorry might be stupid question but we may be leaving end of year and I am trying to plan ahead as much as possible. Thanks!

Heavens, you only just got here!

As KrisS says, most people either stay in a hotel or with friends before they do their final exit.  Much less stressful, and potentially less expensive, doing it that way.

Heavens, you only just got here!

As KrisS says, most people either stay in a hotel or with friends before they do their final exit.  Much less stressful, and potentially less expensive, doing it that way.

Got here?! I've lived here almost half my life :)

Sorry - I mixed you up with somebody else :biggrin1:

How do you feel leaving after so long?  Going somewhere within the region or somewhere completely different?

Haha yeh I figured :)

Completely different!! We are going to Australia for immigration :smile:

One of the toughest and scariest decisions I've ever had to make. But we are excited for the move. Just need to figure out a few things there. No amount of research can really prepare you on what to expect!

You really can't stay until the last day because you have to be out of the villa/flat before the inspection as you will hand over the keys once they do the inspection.  You have to move out of the villa totally, usually the day before - to a hotel or with friends - then the next day you will go to the flat/villa and have the inspection done.  

Be careful with Etisalat - we had given them our TV encoder box ahead of time and got a receipt when we did, so that we could make sure that we didn't owe them anything once we were done.  We had gone to Etisalat and given them the date to shut off the service and prepaid to that date.  Well, 2 months later I got a bill through email that they wanted 636 AED for the TV encoder box that we had returned - so we responded and told them to check with the office where we returned the encoder - they came back asking for the receipt and that they would look into it.  We responded back with it's their job and we turned it in - we weren't paying for something we had already taken care of 2 months ago.  To date I have not heard back from them and are assuming (for better or worse) that they Found the box...never mind that we don't have any bank account there to transfer funds to them, not like we were going to, but we cleared everything appropriately and got ALL of our funds back from each of our deposits even ADDC.  Our landlord was fab and got all our deposit back except for the "260 AED" for Fees...what a crock, but the other 12000 AED was nice to have. 

Good luck!

Horseluver I think you and your husband are in the minority for getting your deposit back so quickly. I know there are people who've moved out of Raha Gardens and it has taken months for them to get their deposit. In that situation, does the landlord do a wire transfer into the current bank account, or does the tenant have to keep a local account open for that?

We had our security deposit back a month before our departure, along with outstanding rent.  Our Emirati landlord offered that to us so we had time to finalise our banking.  He was always so awesome.

A prudent and cheap thing to do would be to get a driving history certificate when moving back.  This shows your license authority that you were driving and your class, dates etc.  To do this, go to main driver license branch by the Police college and go to reception.  The MOI was very organized and it took about 2 minutes and 50 AED.

You need to get some quotes for shipping and work out if its cost effective. Do you have somewhere to move into? That can make a difference in terms of how your things will fit/suit a new place.

Was absolutely dreading this but it has been an eye opener and the things I thought would be difficult where easy, the things I thought would be easy where difficult, will post a full report in a few days

when moving back permanently is it recommended to get a police clearance certificate of some kind for future employment in uk. If so how and where. Did get the driving history certificate as was recommended. This doesn't really prove insurance though especially if you have driven abroad a while so not sure what a uk insurance company would accept when insuring a car when back for good in Uk. Any suggestions/ advise welcome thanks