Abu Dhabi Woman
Sign in to follow this  
Abir

Live-out housekeeper: is it a good idea?

Hi everyone,

As we are expecting our second child, we are considering hiring a full-time housekeeper/nanny and as we prefer having a lot of privacy plus the fact that we don't have a maid's room in our apartment, we need her to be a live-out employee. However, the idea of sponsoring someone who spends the night out scares me a lot.

There are companies in Dubai who provide full-time housekeepers under their sponsorship but I couldn't find any availability at the moment.

Has anybody used one of these companies? And for the worst case scenario (sponsoring a live-out) can you please share your experience?

Thanks in advance!

We have had a live out nanny for 4 years with no problem at all.  She starts at 7am and finishes between 6-7pm with weekends off.  She lives with female friends and cousins in town and it works really well for all of us.

I have never had a live-out while here, but from other friends' experience:

-it costs more per month as you have to give her extra money for her accommodation and transportation.

-if you do not live in town, it is best if she arranges a morning car lift for her work days so she does not have to rely on the bus which can sometimes be hit and miss especially if you need to leave for work at a certain time.

-make it very clear at the beginning that she is not allowed to take on any part time jobs while on your visa.

-give her the opportunity to prepare her lunch at your house so she does not have to wake up too early to cook every day. Plus if she can have lunch at your place it really helps her financially.

-discuss right at the beginning what is her finish time, and if you have the type of job where you are expected to work later than your finish time make sure she knows that so she can make her decision right at the beginning whether not having a set finish time is ok for her.

-if you will need her to sleep over sometimes, for example if you and the hubby want to go out, again talk about this during the interview.

-discuss off days.

So basically, my advice is discuss everything up front so there are no surprises later.

My current maid was live-out before joining us, and her main reason to do live-in was because the salary was not enough to cover her expenses of accommodation, transportation, food.  As a live-in she knows she does not have to worry about these costs as she gets them over and above her salary.

I'd agree with Khalifagirl on a lot of the above.  We let our nanny buy whatever food she needs  for the week so she has her lunch at our place.  Plus she stays over some nights in the spare room and she has food to cook her dinner.  If you can negotiate a few potential stay over nights at the start I'd really recommend it as we didn't originally so were paying for babysitting which was a bit silly of us - when we renewed the contract we revised a few things.

She was getting a bus in and back but if the bus was ever late we would tell her to grab a taxi and pay her back.  It is definitely more expensive to have someone living out but, as I say, it works for us.  Open communication is really important too and we are lucky in that our nanny is very flexible (although I like to think we are too!)

Hi Dotress, we're due in Dec & I'll have to go back to work beginning of April next year but we're planning on leave the UAE to move back to NZ July/Aug time so a live out nanny is what would ideally suits us for those last few months. I've tried looking online but no luck, do you know where i can find one? Thanks EM